[mythtv-users] g200 tv out

Adam Felson a.f.5 at pobox.com
Sun Feb 29 23:50:30 EST 2004

I've been having a hell of a time getting a matrox g200 produce a
useable ntsc signal.  What the hell is the big god damn deal?

I followed Robert Dege's howto exactly and got a signal that ran at
64hz, had a big black bar on the right and visible horizontal retrace
lines.

To get a useable picture, I had to explicitly set the xfree86 monitor
definition to only use a 31.5-31.5khz horizontal frequency range and a
60.0-60.0 vertical frequency range.  At that setting, only 640x480
resolution works (fine for TV), but the monitor output is now unusable.
I followed that with a
fbset -fb /dev/fb0 -t 39682 50 0 37 10 46 2 -g 640 477 640 480 32
to get the picture centered and filled out.

What I don't understand is why the video board doesn't do all this
automatically.  Surely there isn't much call for TV pictures at the
wrong frequency and with visible retrace lines.  Why can't the board
simply operate only with valid signal parameters?

Anyway, it works for tv out, even though I can no longer connect a
monitor.  I dunno if running at 640x480 instead of something like
800x600 makes any difference.

--
Adam Felson <a.f.5 at pobox.com>