[mythtv-users] Best non-Hauppauge TV-out cards?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 29 21:05:07 EST 2004

Quoting Malcolm <mythtv at lds.dyndns.org>:

> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:54:39 -0500
> "Stephen L. Ulmer" <ulmer at ulmer.org> wrote:
>

> > On 29 Feb 2004, mythtv at lds.dyndns.org spake:
> > > I'm in the same boat here too.  I have a 350 and a 250.  My most
> > > annoyning factor right now is that we cannot go to "watch
> > > recordings" without killing a current in progress recording.  Since
> > > we record a lot of stuff that's almost always.  I have to check if
> > > anything's recording with my laptop and mythweb and if it is we just
> > > sit and wait.  That kinda sucks.
> > >
> > > Would going to an nVida 440 card for TV out eliminate this issue?
> > > I'd be using the 350 and 250 for video capture only for now.  I
> > > would have bought a card a long time ago to find out except I have
> > > to get a new MB (I have no agp slot and my PCIs are full) too. I
> > > hate to get another MB and video card just to be stuck with the same
> > > problem.
> >
> > You could always use whatever video card you have with an outboard
> > VGA->TV converter.  Someone posted some links to units available a
> > TigerDirect that were in the $50 range.  That would be cheaper than a
> > new motherboard and you can use it with the next generation myth box
> > too. :)
>
> Good point.  VGA to TV converter.  But there's still the question of will
> this solve the problem of recordings in progress been killed when I select
> "watch recordings" on the myth menu?
I'm guessing that you're not getting an answer because no one has an answer...
It's hard to fix a problem that people are having trouble reproducing.  :)

It's easy to test, if you decide to use your existing display adapter and a scan
converter - Hook a monitor up to the VGA card and see if it fixes your problem.

I'm guessing there's a chance that it may, as the only cause I can think of for
your problem is some sort of conflict within the ivtv driver when trying to
record and playback at the same time.  There are all sorts of nasty bugs in the
TV-out support for the PVR-350 that seem to cause major problems with some
people's systems and not a single problem at all with others.  But as I said -
It's pretty easy to test, just temporarily hook up a monitor to the VGA port.