[mythtv-users] Record, transcode, burn DVD

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Sat Feb 28 17:49:19 EST 2004

Quoting Steven Cruysberghs <steven.cruysberghs at pi.be>:

> I'll assume you are recording MPEG2.
>
> People are/were working on mpeg2 to mpeg2 transcoding but it's not
> finished or committed to CVS. I suggest you keep track of the devel
> list...
In the meantime, if you're recording mpeg2 (I get the impression the person who
started this thread is doing so...), you can use avidemux2 to edit out
commercials for now.

Load the MPEG file, cut out the commercials, save the edit list (if you wish...
 I do in case of a crash), save the raw video and audio streams.

Use mplex from mjpegtools to remultiplex the two streams, then use dvdauthor to
create a DVD filesystem from the MPEG stream.

Quick steps to do this without using disk space for the intermediary MPEG
program stream, assuming you saved the audio to foo.m2a and video to foo.m2v:

--------
mkfifo dvdmpg
mplex -f 8 -V -o dvdmpg foo.m2a foo.m2v &
dvdauthor -o some/directory/somewhere -f dvdmpg
dvdauthor -o some/directory/somewhere -T
-------
Then you'll have a valid DVD file structure in some/directory/somewhere that you
can burn to DVD.