[mythtv-users] pvr-350: mythtv won't use /dev/video16

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Feb 28 03:16:32 EST 2004

On Feb 27, 2004, at 21:05, Scott Anderson wrote:

> First time mythtv user... I decided to go all out and buy a pvr-350.
>
> I'm using ivtv 0.1.9 and mythtv 0.14 (debian binary package).
>
> Well, I have things to this point:
>
> 1) dd if=/dev/video of=/dev/video16 works wonderfully. Beautiful
> picture, great sound.
> 2) mythfrontend runs on X, and I've set it up (ostensibly) to use the
> pvr-350 /dev/video16 for output.
> 3) ivtv-fb works; I can set up the X server to use /dev/fb0 as a
> screen and get the myth GUI on the TV set.
>
> The problem: mythtv refuses to use /dev/video16 for output, instead
> using XV. The picture is, of course, horrible, and there is no sound.
> I get the picture on the TV when using the framebuffer, and on the
> monitor when I don't. I've tried turning the pvr-350 setting on and
> off, but the log shows myth blithely going to XV either way.
>
> I've read a bazillion how-tos, as well as the mailing list archives...
> have I missed something obvious?

Only thing that comes to mind is possibly a permissions problem on
/dev/video16. If you did the dd as root, you wouldn't have the problem,
but perhaps the user mythtv runs as doesn't have rw access to that
device.

> Also, I've been told that it's possible to get myth to run directly on
> the framebuffer without X as an intermediary, but I haven't come
> across any documentation describing the functionality. Does anyone
> have a quick pointer?

Nope, but I'd search the mailing list archive and/or the ivtv wiki.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/