[mythtv-users] Multiple instances of lirc (serial/Hauppauge)

Nick Kaijaks nick at kaijaks.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 04:45:50 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to set up lirc for use with mythtv for two different devices;
a homebrew serial port transmitter to change channels and the Hauppauge
PVR-350 receiver, which I've already had working. At the moment, I'd
prefer not to rewire the homebrew serial transmitter to receive as well
(hardware/cable run hassles, plus the fact I've already got the receiver
working fine), although I guess that's always a last resort.

Googling (both here and lirc lists) leads me to two things:

(1) You can set up two instances of lirc by making a copy of the sources
and hacking all references to lirc, LIRC, Lirc etc to something else and
changing port and char-major to something different from the original.

(2) Implication that there may be another (perhaps simpler) approach,
because there are two different kernel modules (lirc_serial and
lirc_i2c).

I found no good suggestions for how to *actually* run multiple lirc
modules simultaneously and when I tried the rename kludge (1) it all
went fine until I tried to make, when I got an error (no sources found
in . or ..)

So, I'd really appreciate knowing if anyone on the list has managed
either of these, and can suggest instructions that even a noodle like me
can make work...

Best,
Nick