[mythtv-users] PDA Remotes using VNC

James Thompson tray at penguinnexus.com
Wed Feb 25 18:54:27 EST 2004

This is my first post here with many more to come.  I am new to MythTV but I
love it and must put my thank you up here for all dev's.

My little contributions are going to starting coming in. This one is for
users. I have started using my ipaq h2215 as a remote. For the server I got
x0rfbserver. It was simple to setup and loads up quickly.  For the pda I
started out with vncview from
(http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html). There are a few noticeable
problems with using vnc.

The problems are:

Power off PDA vnc closes - yeah this sucks but it's not life or death here.
Give me time to rewrite the login setup/connection routines.

No escape key  - Key binding didn't work for me, so I switched it back and
added an escape key to the key's menu of the vnc software.

Sluggish - These are the screen updates. Useless as the screen is just going
to be blue for tv. I added a no remote window option and now it's very
responsive.

So far these are just workarounds. I like the way it works so far. As I come
up with problems I will fix them.

My setup is using Bluetooth to my main pc then to the network finally
reaching the myth box. I would like to add a Bluetooth adaptor the myth box
and get that working but we shall see. All the pda needs in this setup is a
wireless connection to the network. With this you can do anything on the
myth box as if you had a keyboard and mouse, this includes running other
programs other than mythtv.

I don't know exactly what this post was for but I got the idea before from
other posts that are outdated now. I am not sure if those people gave up or
what but I have added my limited programming support to making a pda remote
control. As such I figured this might come in handy for others. My source
code and complied project are available to under gpl and should soon be
posted at the main website for the vnc software. If it's not at the vnc
website I will setup my own. Soon this project will be drastically different
as I make an interface that has some functionality. My programming skills on
any windows interface sucks though so maybe someone else will work on this
with me. Let me know if your interested.

tray at penguinnexus.com