[mythtv-users] Unusual HD Activity

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 25 15:17:16 EST 2004

Quoting Janek Hellqvist <janek at slaytanic.com>:

> Andrew Hogue <hogue at cs.yorku.ca> wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone else has come across the following problem.
> > Very recently, after recording a show with mythtv there is an
> > unusually large amount of activity trying to access the HD.  If I do
> > a top, I see that the process involved is ksoftirqd_CPU0.
>
> This might be the commercial flagging - AFAIK it starts after recording has
> been completed...
Yup.  Is it extreme HD activity, or just periodic?

Signs of commercial flagging being run are HD access (but not enough to severely
impact performance), and a constant CPU load of approx. 10% consumed by a nice
process.

On a 1.1 GHz Athlon, you'll see that activity for about 1.5 hours for every hour
of recorded video.