[mythtv-users] mythgame PS2/NES/SNES/.... (legal?)

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 25 11:20:14 EST 2004

Quoting Michael Messner <michael.messner_edv at inode.at>:

> Hello mythTV-ML,
>
>  again, the next question!
> Is it legal if I've some games on the real NES/SNES/PS2/... to download this
>
> games for the PC?
>
> If yes, are there any plans to implement also PS2/N64/.. Support to
> mythgame?
>
> If no, is there any legal (!!!) possibility to get such games for PC?
>
> Thanks for your information
> cu mIke
I don't know of any PS2 emulators - do you mean emulators for the original
PlayStation?

For PlayStation games, you can play them directly from CD-ROM with an emulator
or you can rip your own games to ISO and play them from your HD.  (This is what
I've been doing with Final Fantasy VIII and PcSX.)  Unfortunately all of the PSX
emulators for Linux have WEIRD directory structures and configuration setups,
you can't simply specify an ISO on the command lin...

For NES/SNES, depending on your country, it is legal to download a ROM if you
already own the game.  (Although many people question whether the ROM sites
themselves are legal - most likely they DON'T own copies of the game, so if you
REALLY want to be legal you should investigate some sort of cartridge downloader
hardware for your PC.)

N64 support for Mythgame pretty much depends on finding a reliable N64 emulator.
 So far my experience is that the PSX and N64 emulators out there, while
semi-playable, aren't the sort of thing I'd want to integrate into a Myth box
just yet.