[mythtv-users] Sync'd MythMusic

zaphod at comcast.net zaphod at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 12:28:29 EST 2004

The fact that current MythMusic is frontend based is going to make that impossible I think.  The has been some disscussion over time about streaming and Internet Radio support, not sure how active any of that work might be . . .

Personally I think MythMusic should be allowed to continue as a stand alone frontend module, some of the more audiophile-type users that use only lossless flak compression, and use SPDIF to external receivers/decoders may not appreciate 128kpbs or even 192 kpbs Icecast streaming.

Perhaps we should spin off the streaming to a new module(s), maybe call it MythCast? MythCastServer would be installed only one location on your network, preferably you Master Backend.  MythCastClient could be installed on any frontend and would allow "requests" to the MythCastServer.  Obviously, with would have shared access to the MythMusic collection and song lists.

There are many, many icecast/apache web jukebox applications that allow this type of behavior, should be too hard to leverage some of these GPL programs to set-up MythCast.

-Eric