[mythtv-users] RGB HDTV input

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Tue Feb 24 10:52:16 EST 2004

Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
> The RGB input on the TV will accept only 1080i.  Will newer nVidia chips
> output this?  Are there any issues with configuring X to run at 1080i.

Jarod Wilson reported last week that there's SiS video card that's
capable of putting out 1080i; no other card that I know of is, at
present, though nVidia promises a driver update to enable interlaced
modes in March (they've made this promise before...)

The rest of us are using 1920x540p or 960x540p modes, whose timing is
the same as 1080i.  Do some searches in the archive for previous
discussion.  I personally prefer 1920x540 because the video looks better
(though the menus look somewhat weird); some prefer 950x540 because the
menus look better (though you're tossing half the video resolution;
realistically, though, most current display devices can't really resolve
it anyway).

I have also placed a thoroughly-hacky solution into my own codebase that
uses 1920x540 for video, and 960x540 for the menus, using the xrandr
command.

-Doug