[mythtv-users] mythbackend / mythfrontend

Xavier Hervy maxpower44 at tiscali.fr
Mon Feb 23 17:43:42 EST 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Monday 23 February 2004 11:03, Andrew Dodd wrote:
>
>>Quoting "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net>:

>>>Don't have your frontend auto-start on bootup.
>>
>>That won't help him much, since he's eventually going to have to run
>>the frontend to watch/schedule something else.
>>
>>Try disabling all of the auto-shutdown features of the
>>frontend/backend.  (I'm assuming at some point you enabled them in
>>the first place, since in my experience they're off by default.)
>

> I think the point was that he *wants* the auto-shutdown enabled.  I'd
> say the workaround would be not to have mythfrontend auto-start at boot
> time, but possibly to configure something (like irexec) to start
> mythfrontend in response to remote keypress.

Yes I want auto-shutdown and yes i want auto start mythfrontend
Configuring something like irexec to start mythfrontend isn't the
solution that i dream because it 's add "something to configure outside
mythfrontend" to have a perfect mythbox.
> Other than that, the *real* solution would be to add a configuration
> option to mythfrontend to allow it to shut itself down after a certain
> idle period, or at least to disconnect itself from the backend so the
> backend can shut down.  Anyone feel like doing a patch?
>
> -JAC

You should be right. the real solution would be to add a idle time out
for the frontend. but I don't know how to determine when the
mythfrontend is idle. in the frontend we don't have general while loop
which allow to detect if change happen. Any Idea ?
Xavier