[mythtv-users] Compiler optimizations

Michael McConnell mmcconnell at uniserve.com
Sun Feb 22 12:12:59 EST 2004

Hello Joseph,

    The reason I'm surprised, and suspect that it can't be true, is
"generally" compiler optimizations of this nature only yield very minimal
improvement; improvements in the range of 1% - 3% would generally be gained
on some trivial operation calls via compiler optimization. It's very, very
rare to see an improvement of 15% - 20% just through compiler optimization,
however I clearly, and continually see the optimizations made a significant
different. I'm trying to track down where, and what operation call could be
used so heavily in MythTV that a PentiumPro to Pentium3 + FastMath compile
could yield such an improvement.

Ultimately until I can track the point, which result in such different, I'm
still a bit of a sceptic and I see it with my own eyes! (-; Clearly it will
require a "some what trivial" rewrite of whatever is causing this. It must
be bad code.

Mike