[mythtv-users] 350 for video playback

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Feb 22 00:27:03 EST 2004

On Feb 21, 2004, at 15:18, Malcolm wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:43:10 -0500
> Dan Boger <mythtv at peeron.com> wrote:
>
>> I currently have our 350 set up on a P3-450MHz, and watching live TV,
>> or
>> playing back recordings is very simple.  However, when I try to use
>> MythVideo, the playback is too slow to be viewable.  I understand
>> that's
>> because the ivtv driver isn't using the full hardware capabilities (as
>> far as rgb->yuv), but I was wondering if anyone has any experience
>> using
>> a 350 on a faster machine (2GHz+), and if MythVideo was usable at that
>> point?  Or do I just need to keep waiting until the ivtv driver
>> develops
>> more?
>>
>> If so, I can try to convince my wife we need a better myth server.
>>
>> Any suggestions welcome!
>
> Nope it's just as slow.  I went from a PIII 500 to a Celeron 2.4Ghz and
> the video and DVD playback was just as slow.

Not quite "just as slow", but still not very good. Oh, and DVD playback
can be made to work just fine with a patched mplayer. MythVideo
playback however... I've got a 350 in an Athlon XP 2600, and divx
playback looked like it was playing about 75-85% of normal frame rate,
so there was noticeable jerkiness in movement, but it was *almost*
bearable. I'm back to using a GF4MX for TVOut right now.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/