[mythtv-users] RE: Antec Overture CPU fan (and other Overture case add-ons)

Eric Litman elitman at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 21 23:15:19 EST 2004

Sean Stagg wrote:
# Anybody have any suggestions for a quiet CPU cooler that will fit in
# the Antec Overture?
# I saw someone mention a ThermalRight SLK-800A heatsink in the
# threads, can I use this without a fan. I am using an AMD Athlon
# 2000+, everything else is pretty basic full ATX htpc setup, no
# overclocking.

I have my master backend in an Overture, and although I have a
Thermaltake Volcano 11+ (with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste) on my
XP2500+ and with all fans running at full speed, I find that components
in the case tend to run a bit hot. The CPU stays around 51C at idle,
and goes up to ~53-54C under load in an otherwise cool room. The temp.
around my 2 7200RPM drives runs about 35C.

These aren't alarmingly high and are certainly within an "acceptable"
range for today's Athlons, but given the relatively poor airflow in the
case you probably want to either consider going with a fan on that
ThermalRight, or buying a combo HSF like one of the Thermaltake's.

Xoxide has a decent selection and good customer service:
http://www.xoxide.com/

For temp. monitoring, you can go the lm_sensors route as previously
suggested, and/or get yourself a spiffy monitor transfer panel like one
of these:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=52_88&products_id=365&osCsid=2bcc65beb91dfaf7d27f5b486db49d0f

I have that in silver and it perfectly matches the brushed aluminum
look of the Antec case front and the blue backlighting matches the
Overture's illuminated power button. The contrast of the LED display is
a bit low for my tastes, however. Had I not been holding open a 5 1/4"
bay for an LCD or VFD, I likely would have bought this Eudemon instead:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=52_87_138&products_id=1192&osCsid=2bcc65beb91dfaf7d27f5b486db49d0f

Note the swanky animated fan.

If you're looking for a DVD drive that matches the case, you may want
to go with the Lite-On 16x:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=64_27&products_id=44&osCsid=2bcc65beb91dfaf7d27f5b486db49d0f

There's readily available firmware for this drive that makes it DVD
region-free.

FWIW, the power supply in my Overture recently died and is back at
Antec for repair. I'll report back if the customer service experience
is anything but good.

-Eric