[mythtv-users] "make install" doesn't replace old libs (lirc_init error solved)

Jason Livingston dergibjl2-nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 21 04:09:32 EST 2004

After a lot of learning and tinkering, I finally solved the lirc_init
error I was getting when running mythfrontend.

It turns out that running "make install" (even as root) after compiling
myth, wasn't properly replacing the installed myth libraries. The libs
in /usr/local/lib and /usr/lib were still the old binaries installed by
"apt-get mythtv-suite". These old libs weren't working properly with my
newly compiled myth0.14 binaries. Perhaps its a problem of different
compiler versions or environments... I don't know.

When I manually copied my newly-compiled libs into /usr/local/lib and
/usr/lib the problems were solved.

Since a few other people had this problem, perhaps this should be in a
FAQ somewhere? Or could it be a problem with the "make install" script?
I hope someone will look into this. Thanks.

Jason