[mythtv-users] video compression question

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Fri Feb 20 13:48:05 EST 2004

I currently record at 640x480 @ 5400kbps or so mpeg4, which gives me
pretty good quality at about 2.1 gigs per hour before cutting out
commercials.  This is pretty much the most I can pull out of my 2.4Ghz
p4.

Though I archive some of this stuff online, I usually just convert it to
svcd (480x480).  I assume that my tuner card is going to be happiest
with the 640x480 resolution, and that I'd be able to wipe out some
artifacts when I step down to 480x480 for SVCD.  However, I'm curious
what people think about sizing my originals down to 480x480 which would
turn up the bitrate and thus make for better quality originals and fewer
artifacts to start with.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

--
Chris Petersen
Programmer / Web Designer