[mythtv-users] Re: EPIA M10kB C3-2 / RH9 / MythTV / ALSA oder viaudiocombo

Mark Crutch markc at qsiuk.com
Fri Feb 20 07:44:33 EST 2004

I don't speak German, so I hope that you either understand English, or that babelfish does a good job of translating my reply ;)

> Welche Treiber würdet Ihr vorziehen ? ALSA oder VIAUDIOCOMBO ? Welche
> Konsequenzen / Vor-/Nachteile
> hat welche Installation?

I've recently installed MythTV on an Epia M10K with RH9, and chose to use the ALSA drivers. I wanted to use the SPDIF output, which ALSA supports, and was not concerned about the on-board 5.1 option that the Viaudio Combo driver offers (using the normal audio input sockets as additional audio outs).

I am using Via's video drivers, but they have been quite poor at supporting new distributions - they still don't support FC1, for example. Because of this I chose to use as few Via supplied drivers as possible, so that I am not tied to their choice of distribution for any longer than necessary.

The ALSA install went quite smoothly, following the instructions on their website for the via28xx driver. I had to play with the IEC958 settings in Alsamixer in order to get the SPDIF output working, and then had to manually tweak /etc/asound.state to get the settings restored correctly at startup. But these were quite minor points.

I hope that helps - and I hope I've come close to answering the question that you were asking.

Mark