[mythtv-users] A list of newbie questions - any input is appreciated

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Feb 20 03:33:20 EST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Steve Dorsey wrote:

> we not using forums - they are easier to search, and I can more easily
> get to them from the network at Intel, where I work!?)

Please read the endless discussions in the archives on why we will never
use a forum.

> - Is a P4 1.8GHz going to be fast enough to do everything with two or
> three PVR-350s simultaneously capturing and viewing video? (I'd like to

Easilly

> - What about a 7200 RPM 240GB drive? Can that read and write fast
> enough simultaneously?

Should be fine

> - Will I easily be able to create my own menu/DVD backgrounds and
> graphics? I'd be more than happy to share them with the community. I'm
> no programmer, but I am a broadcast UI designer.

Myth doesn't do any DVD authoring - you need an external DVD authoring
program.

> - Can I decide what format a given show is encoded to? (i.e. Enterprise
> in MPEG4, and West Wing in MPEG2, one after the other)?

Yes - you can set up 4 different "qualities" which can each independently
transcode into a different format.  the PVR card will record as MPEG2 and
then Myth will (optionally) transcode after the show finishes.

> - What is the recommended remote control for the unit - is this listed
> on the MythTV site and I'm just too blind to see it?

No specific remote control, everyone has a preference - I like the Sky+
Navigator remote that's available here in the UK since it has most PVR
controls on the front and a full QWERTY keyboard under a flip-cover.

> - Is there a dial PIP option if I have 3 capture cards?

Don't quote me on this but I think you can change inputs on the PIP
exactly the same as you can change on the main picture.

> - Can I use different Hauppage capture cards on the same system? (Like
> a 250 and a 350 together)?

Yes - the 250 and 350 are identical for the capture part (the 350 just has
an output too).

> - Is it easy to transfer recorded broadcasts to my Mac OSX box via the
> network?

You'll probably need to transcode them into a standard format, but
reasonably easy.

> What is the smallest recommended font size for good clarity on screen?

Depends entirely on how good and big your TV is.  Obviously a cheap,
blurry 14" TV is going to need a rather bigger font than an expensive
projector.

> - Does the web interface require a static IP address?

Only if you want to be able to find it :)
Seriously though, the web interface does no authentication, etc and
probably shouldn't be directly internet-facing.

- --

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/