[mythtv-users] yet another hardware list

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Feb 20 03:03:48 EST 2004

On Feb 19, 2004, at 18:10, Chua KianTeck wrote:

>  Sorry if I'm using this thread for another issue.  But I think it
> should be related.

Close enough.

>  I'm new to HTPC and been reading up alot about this.  I've planned to
> build my own MythTV.  However, I've been looking for the Chaintech
> 7NiF2 in Singapore for weeks calling up shops.  But all said that
> they've ran out of stock for this mobo.  When I checked with the local
> distributor for Chaintech, I'm told that they are not bringing this
> mobo into Singapore.  I've considered getting it on-line.  But the
> thought of after sales support or the extra shipping cost involved
> turned me off.

Good board. Too bad.

>  I'm thinking of replacing it with either the Chaintech 7NJS Ultra
> Zenith or the MSI K7N2G-ILSR.

I'm not that familiar with the 7NJS, but I am fairly familiar with the
MSI board.

>  The new Chaintech 7NJS does not have any onboard VGA but it has loads
> of other features including onboard Dolby Digital encoder, memory card
> reader in the form of a CBOX3, etc.  The MSI K7N2G-ILSR has an
> included GeForce4 MX GPU, as well as other neat stuffs like Dolby
> Digital encoder, etc but without the memory card reader.
>
>  In comparision, the 7NJS does not have onboard video but cost US$18
> more.  I'll have to fork out additional for a GeForce4 MX440 video
> card
>
>  I'll like to know if the Chaintech 7NJS would be suitable for a
> MythTV box or has anyone tried the MSI K7N2G-ILSR.

Either one should work. Personally, I'd go with the MSI though. I'm
rather partial to nForce2 systems with the onboard GF4MX for MythTV.
Cheaper, and everything you need in one package (while that Chaintech
does come with a card reader, who knows if it actually works under
Linux -- google it before/if you buy!).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...