[mythtv-users] HDTV and the VIA EPIA

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 19 19:58:15 EST 2004

Quoting "Vincent K. Britton" <Vincent.Britton at wiznet.com>:

> Has anyone here tried to decode HDTV content on a VIA EPIA?
>

> I am looking to get several VIA EPIA's to act as front end boxes.  I
> have 1 HD Television now and wanted to know if the 1 GHz CPU on the VIA
> EPIA could decode HD Content.
>

> It has a MPEG2 Decoder built on to it.  Forgive my ignorance but what is
> HD content recorded in (mpeg4 I think), and would this decoder help at
> all?
It depends on the exact features of the EPIA's MPEG decoder, i.e. how much it
can offload from the CPU, and also if the MPEG decoder has any specific limitations.

I get the impression from the name "viaslice" that it handles MPEG2 slices,
which means it offloads slightly more than the hardware IDCT + MoComp of XvMC.

On the other hand, the fact that it can offload more of the MPEG2 decoding from
the CPU means it might have a resolution limitation of 720x480 (the highest
resolution encountered in MPEG2 MP at ML - Main Profile at Main Level.  HD content
is MP at HL, and hardware decoders for MP at HL are rare and $$$, although the VIA HW
MPEG decoder might be generic enough to do it.)

If the VIA MPEG decoder doesn't offload significantly more than a GeForce 4MX
with hardware IDCT/MoComp, then there is NO way the EPIA will work - It has a
relatively inefficient 1 GHz processor at best, and even a 1.7 GHz P4 can't
handle 1080i with hardware IDCT/MoComp (although since installing Gentoo, my 1.7
GHz P4-M laptop is a LOT closer to that goal...  Close enough that I'm
considering a 2.4 GHz upgrade because it should be sufficient.)