[mythtv-users] Re:[Q] : Why only numeric IP addresses work?

seth caver at verizon.net
Thu Feb 19 18:31:48 EST 2004

i asked this question myself not too long ago and go tabsolutely no
response.  personally, i don't see why myth won't try to resolve IPs, and
even more mysterious to me is why it works fine on my
mythbackend/mythfrontend box and my general server/mysql box but stops
working when i try to add a remote frontend.

server (running mysql, named, dhcp, mythweb, apache, etc) - 192.168.0.1
mythbox (mythbackend/mythfrontend)  = DHCP assigned IP, right now it's
192.168.0.99
mamasan (mythfrontend) = DHCP assigned IP, right now it's 192.168.0.200
BackendServerIP = 'mythbox'
MasterServerIP = 'mythbox'

mythweb works fine from 'server', mythtv works fine from 'mythbox',
mythfrontend does _not_ work from 'mamasan'.  not that it's _that_ much work
to change the hostnames to IPs, but still.