[mythtv-users] [Q] : Why only numeric IP addresses work?

manu eallaud at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 19 12:11:11 EST 2004

Le 19.02.2004 08:09:27, Joseph A. Caputo a écrit :
> On Wednesday 18 February 2004 17:40, manu wrote:
> > 	Hi all,
> > I have a backend/frontend and another remote frontend (using a post
> > 0.14 CVS). These are on a small LAN (the two of them only). If I
> > setup the addresses numerically (ie master backend 192.168.0.1 and
> > frontend 192.168.0.2) all works. The problem is the frontend is a
> > laptop, so it is not always plugged on the lan, and when it is not
> > the network is down and my local frontend do not find the backend
> > anymore (the 192.168.0.1 IP is not valid anymore in that case). So
> > though let's put the hostname of the master backend instead (this
> > will get resolved correctly as localhost via the host file even if
> > the network is down), but then the remote frontend won't be able to
> > connect to the backend. So it seems that the setup must be in
> numeric
> > IP but I don't understand why this restriction. If someone could
> > enlighten me ;-) And even better if it was possible to put
> > mmedia.home as the address, that would make my life easier ;-)
> > Thanks
> > BYe
> > Manu
>
> I'm not sure I follow your description.  Let me see if I understand.
> You have:
>
> 192.168.0.1	desktop machine (backend/frontend)
> 192.168.0.2	laptop (remote frontend)
>
> Correct so far?
>
> Now, you say that when your laptop is not plugged in you *LAN* is
> down?
> You should still be able to do the following on your desktop machine:
>
> 	ping 192.168.0.1
>
> and get a response.  If you can't, you have a problem.  Are you
> actually
> turning off the network interface in your desktop box?  Run the
> following command both when your LAN is "up" and when it's "down",
> and
>
> post the results:
>
> 	/sbin/ifconfig
>
> Also, please describe your complete network setup in detail so that
> we
>
> can diagnose your problem.  By any chance are you running a
> point-to-point wireless network?
>
> One thing you could try is the following:
>
> Assuming your two boxes are named "deskmyth" and "lapmyth", you could
> set the Master Backend Address in the DB to "deskmyth".  Then in
> the /
> etc/hosts file on "deskmyth" you'd set "deskmyth" to be "localhost"
> or
>
> "127.0.0.1".  On "lapmyth", you'd set /etc/hosts to map "deskmyth" to
> 192.168.0.1, and you'd put "deskmyth" in the mysql.txt file.  Might
> work; I don't know if the Master Backend IP setting in the DB can be
>
> host name or not.  To summarize, you'd have:
>
> On "deskmyth":
> MySQL: mythconverg.settings (MasterServerIP = "deskmyth")
> /etc/hosts:
> 	127.0.0.1		localhost.localdomain localhost
> deskmyth

> [...]

Thanks for your detailed answer. Here is the thing : for a reason I am
still investigating eth0 will be up automatically only if the laptop is
also plugged, which is a bug in my config I agree. But then this leads
me to try to put the name of the master backend in myth setup so that
as you also said, an alias in the hosts file would resolve to localhost
even if the lan is down. Then the local frontend can connect to the
backend as expected (whateverup or down the LAN is) BUT the remote
frontend cannot connect to the backend anymore. This is somewhat
weird : the remote frontend will only connect if the master backend is
in numeric form in the setup. Whereas for instance the mysql.txt file
of my remote frontend as the name of my backend not the numeric IP and
it works nice.
Bye
Manu