[mythtv-users] bt878, kernel 2.6.2, and nvidia binary

David Bishop tech at gnuconsulting.com
Wed Feb 18 13:11:50 EST 2004

I've decided to do a 'test' setup of myth on my existing hardware, before
going out and spending the big bucks on a nice htpc.  That means using an old
Hauppauge WinTV card, bt878 based, and my existing geforce 440mx vid card.  I
also recently upgraded this machine to 2.6.2, and (after a little struggle)
am running the latest nvidia binary drivers.  I am still in the prep work (I
have yet to apt-get install the myth stuff), but want to make absoluetly sure
that everything is hunky dory outside of myth, thus restricting the possible
cause when I run into the inevitable problems (inevitable because that's the
way I am, not a knock on myth itself).  When I use mplayer, my vo is xv, and
everything works fine.  When I use xawtv (to test the bt878), if I use xv all
I get is a blue screen.  Using the -noxv switch makes everything work great,
except that 'full screen' isn't (it *is* bigger than the default, just not
full screen, more like 1/2 or 1/3).

So, my question is, how do I verify that xv is working (completely) on my
machine?  And, since the *main* purpose of my myth install will be to watch
divx and vcds, am I going to run into problems if I *don't* have xv support
(i.e., will some other method work as well)?  Sorry if I come across as
paranoid, I don't mean to be...
--
D.A.Bishop