[mythtv-users] DirectFB output and fb modelines

Juha Pahkala juhis at trinity.is-a-geek.com
Wed Feb 18 03:46:24 EST 2004

Hello,

I've finally recently started to setup a MythTV box and already now
wondering why it took me so long to start :) MythTV absolutely rocks!! So
thanks to all of you guys who made this happened.

Anyway, let's get to the point. I've set up myth box without xfree, ie.
using QT/Embedded and DirectFB. I've now got it running but I'm having a
problem with DFB and framebuffer modelines. This is the case: I've got a
Matrox G400, which is quite picky with the timings of the tv-out, but I've
got a modeline in /etc/fb.modes that works reasonably well. And this is
the modeline that mythfrontend runs on, since the qt/e part uses directly
the framebuffer. But, when I try to watch tv (using a DVB-C card),
directfb switches the resolution to '704x576' for some reason, and all I
can see on the tv is green bars.

I've tried to look through the menus and mailinglists, but haven't found
an answer to this question: Where does directfb fetch the modeline from?
How can I control that? I know it doesn't use /etc/directfbrc, since I've
got the proper '720x576' mode set up there. And I don't have an entry
matching the '704x576' that dfb chooses in my /etc/fb.modes. So I'm pretty
clueless here.

Could somebody explain this to me?

TIA, juhis