[mythtv-users] Qucik Slave Backend Tuner Card Setup Question

Aleaxander alex at carbonated.com
Wed Feb 18 01:58:54 EST 2004

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2004, at 18:07, Aleaxander wrote:
>
>> Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

>>> Start out by defining the first card on the master. Define the
>>> address for the master for DBHostName in /usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
>>> on the slave. Now run mythtvsetup on the slave and define your card.
>>> The card in the master won't show up, but you are in fact defining
>>> the card in the slave as the second card in your system as a whole.
>>> Oh, and do NOT choose to clear all cards from the database on the
>>> slave machine, because while you can't see or define the cards on
>>> the  master with mythtvsetup on a slave, you can remove them from
>>> the  database (been there, done that by mistake).
>>

>> Thanks!  That is what I've done, but the docs for MythTV say to skip
>> configuring Video Sources:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.3
>>
>> However, a post to the list from jcaputo1_at_comcast.net says the
>> opposite:
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=77039;
>> search_string=capture%20card%20slave; guest=2339436&t=search_engine#77039
>>
>> Should I configure Video Sources on the Slave Backend or will this
>> mess up the Master Backend?
>

> Video Sources are the xmltv feeds, not the capture cards (a tad
> confusing, I know), so that is correct, you only setup the sources on
> the master. You then use those sources with the cards set up on both
> the master and slaves.

Okay, I understand now.  For any newbie like myself that searches the
archive and finds this, all I had to do when setting up the slave
backend ($ mythtvsetup) was to configure options under General, Capture
Cards and Input Connections.  Then, when I looked at the "capturecard"
table in the mysql database on the master backend machine, I saw that an
entry for the capture card in my slave backend machine had indeed been
added.  Very cool!

Thanks!

-Alex