Fw: [mythtv-users] what tv-out for beamer and high quality demand ?ur opinion

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Feb 17 17:58:17 EST 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 13:49, Micha wrote:
>  so DVI-D would be best... vga would be good enough ? so any graphic card
>  would do the job ? (any better graphic card like radeon 9*** or geforce 4
> or 5***)

DVI-D would be the best, yes. VGA is slightly less good, but still very good
and better than SVideo (I feed my HDTV with VGA through component video
transcoder). I'd stick to a GeForce series card, but there's no need to get
anything more than a GF4MX or FX 5200. ATI cards just don't seem to work as
well under Linux.

>  @jarod
>  how u pass the sound stream raw? sorry dont get that

Rather than having the computer decode Dolby Digital ac3 audio in my divx
files and spit out the decoded signal to my amp, I have mplayer set up to
pass the raw, still-encoded digital audio stream over to my amp for it to do
the DD decoding. A relatively nice Yamaha amp like mine kicks the pants off
the computer when it comes to that type of thing, since its specifically
built for that. It also gets the ac3 volume rescaling correct, while the
computer does not.

>  another queation: jarod u got my private email about ur guide one or 2
> days ago ??

I did, and I replied a bit earlier today...

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/