[mythtv-users] mythtv noob - hardware questions

Adam Biskobing tv at badmoon.com
Tue Feb 17 17:56:21 EST 2004

The Hauppauge cards do not have a DVI connector, you shouldn't have any
problem with your processor, as long as it's not an old VIA based
motherboard (being dell it should be an Intel processor).

>   -Can I use the PVR-350 for video out in addition to the
> tuner features?  I've
> heard that it has a s-video tv-out, is this true?  Does it
> have standard RCA
> out as well?  Can I record while watching the tv with this
> card alone, or would
> I need a tuner and a graphic card combination?

You can display out using the PVR-350, it's not quite as solid as
displaying out on a video card though, but give it a month or two and it
should be.

> I've heard that the M-audio revolution is a pretty good card
> that might satisfy
> my requirements.
>   -what outputs does this card have?  RCA? Optical? Component?
>   -How good are the linux drivers for this card?
>   -What audio software can it handle (5.1? DTS?)

No idea, never used this card.

> What would be a good amount of RAM to upgrade to?  Over 512MB?

My mythbox running with one pvr-250 uses 256MB and doesn't seem to have
any memory problems.

> I have wireless ethernet (802.11G) are there any cards that
> are well supported
> in linux?  I'm not too eager to run cat-5 around my house.

Check out http://prism54.org for well supported 802.11g cards in linux.
I haven't tried this with Myth yet, but that's my next project.

> I have a CD-R, but I'm thinking about upgrading to a
> DVD-R/CD-R.  I would like
> to be able to rip DVDs (a feature of mythtv), but would also
> like to convert
> programs and burn them on DVD-Rs so free up space.  Are there
> any devices that
> are well supported by linux and run fairly well?

Just about any CD-R/DVD-R should work under linux, just read the HOWTOs

> I think my old computer has an external port for an ATA
> drive.  I would like to
> get an external HDD to increase my capacity.  How do I find
> out if my ATA card
> is supported in linux so I can use this port?  Is adding an
> external HDD fairly
> difficult?

Never heard of an external ATA connection, unless you mean serial ATA,
but I doubt that came on a 1Ghz machine (too old).  Adding hard drives,
external or internal is fairly easy under linux.  I recommend starting
with an LVM setup, that way when you add a drive later it's really easy.