[mythtv-users] MythWeb::Music Rewrite - Submitted for your approval...

Steven Cruysberghs steven.cruysberghs at pi.be
Tue Feb 17 16:37:48 EST 2004

Op di 17-02-2004, om 22:00 schreef thor:
> On Tuesday 17 February 2004 15:33, Steven Cruysberghs wrote:
>
> > I remember the mfd developer
>
> 	Heh, note the singular noun.
>
> > once saying that streaming over the
> > internet with mfd/daap protocol would never be implemented (read
> > implemented as: save enough).
>
> 	Just a point of clarification. The daap serving in the current mfd uses
> zeroconfig for autodiscovery, which is impractical over anything beyond
> the local lan. And daap is not just about streaming, it's also about
> exchange metadata and playlists.
>
> 	To get a glimpse of how the mfd might be of use in a streaming setting,
> see the terribly hacked up http interface in current mfd cvs (build,
> run, point browser at http://localhost:2345). That was a quick kludge,
> but could easily be the groundwork for handing streams to a decent
> implementation inside mythweb. Note that the mfd already does "on the
> fly" transcoding of audio content (which is why you can already use it
> to play oggs, flacs, etc. in iTunes).

I was actually looking at it at the moment. The http server doesn't
really stream at the moment does it? If I connect to
http://machine_where_mfd_is_running:2345 from another machine the music
is played back on the machine where mfd is running.

Using itunes the music gets played on the machine where the client is
running.

I'm probably missing something :-)

> 	STANDARD DISCLAIMER:  mfd is experimental code. It may e-mail your
> social security number to Uzbekistan.

I hope they find good use for it over there :-)