[mythtv-users] New user setup questions?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 17 11:29:37 EST 2004

(http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=353608&perpage=20&pagenumber=1)
> that outlines how to get raw mpeg2 from a comcast 6200 series DVR through
> it's firewire ports.  Apparently these ports are now active with the new set
> of firmware that's being rolled out to the boxes.  The firewire isn't used
> for control, it just sends out the mpeg2 stream for whatever is being tuned
> (which can be controlled via IR or serial ports).
>
> The interesting thing is that the mpeg2 capture isn't just for HDTV, but for
> standard digital programs off cable, and even analog programs (the DVR box
> encodes like like a PVR-250).  And this all works even for encrypted
> channels.
>
> In the thread they reference code on Linux that supports the reading from
> firewire, and people have this more or less running...  It would be so cool
> for Myth to support this kind of firewire tuner. Is anyone working on this
> now?
I actually just caught that thread, and more importantly for me, reports that
people have managed to get recent Sony iO (Cablevision) boxes to work.

A friend of mine just ordered an upgrade to an iO HD box, so if his comes with
1394 ports, I'm going to go down there with a laptop with ddr1394 (I THINK
that's the name?  I'd have to look around avs to confirm that) installed and see
if I can record.

If it works, then I guess it'll be time to see what it takes to have Myth record
from a 1394 port.  I'm willing to help with testing and such, but I don't think
I have the coding experience for such a major modification.  :(