[mythtv-users] Transcoding questions (Again)

Jon Read mythtv at jonread.com
Tue Feb 17 05:59:39 EST 2004

I can't seem to find the answer to the following question, can someone
please shed some light on it for me?

How does transcoding work?  When recording from DVB (Hauppauge Nova-T),
is the "Hardware DVB Encoders/Default" setting used, or the
"Transcoders/MPEG2" setting?

Also, how does this deal with aspect ratio changes during a broadcast?
A lot of programming in the UK on CH4 is broadcast in 4:3, with a switch
to 16:9 for titles and ads.

I then have this problem:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=108189;search_string=transcode;guest=2350750&t=search_engine#108189

When set to "automatically transcode after recording", I just get a lot
of "aborted because of cutlist update" errors from mythbackend.  Is this
a known problem with commercial flagging enabled in .14?

Finally, can someone either describe (or point me to some documentation)
on using mythtranscode manually? I can't seem to find much apart from
"mythtranscode --help", which doesn't explain very much.

Thanks,
Jon