[mythtv-users] Adding a new hard drive

Darren Mak mythtv at digitalweb.ca
Tue Feb 17 02:54:00 EST 2004

Hi All,

I currently have all my myth data on an 80 Gig hard drive

I bought a 120Gig drive an have added it to my system.

I have one question and one problem.

The question. Is it possible to join the two drives so that Fedora sees one
drive?

The problem.

Until I figure out the answer to the above question I was going to transfer
all data to the 120Gig drive as my 80 Gig is full. However I added the drive
as the secondary master and when typing dmesg the drive is recognized as 120
Gig and comes up as hdc with unknown partition table because it has not been
created yet.

So I read up on the web about creating a partition and everything says use
fdisk. try that and get bash: fdisk: command not found

Long story short I try a few different partition tools such as parted and
when I type the command parted /dev/hdc I get the same error as above (but
for parted), yet an apt-get install parted results in nothing being
installed as parted is already the newest version.

Apt-get of fdisk yields an error directing me to linux-utils which when I
try to install it says that linux-utils is the newest one.

I have never done anything with hard drives in Linux other than when
initially installing the OS, so I am in need of some direction here, as I
have been unbable ot find the answers anywhere.

As well is there a graphical partition tool for Fedora like diskdrake, ot
maybe help make this a little easier?

Thanks,

Darren