[mythtv-users] A/V system diagram - please tear it apart

Mike Jasper e394td at comcast.net
Tue Feb 17 02:52:26 EST 2004

Hi - I'm reworking my A/V system and integrating a new MythTV box at the
same time.  I'm trying to visualize what connections need to be made,
etc., for this to work, so I drew a powerpoint diagram -
http://home.comcast.net/~e394td/temp/av.gif .

The Myth box will be a combination front/backend with two PVR-250's.

Questions:

1) I'm not certain I should be routing audio and video from the Myth box
back to the receiver, instead of straight to the TV.  But it seems like
then I wouldn't get audio via the receiver unless I route it back from
the TV to the receiver (yes, I'm confused :-) ).

2) On the PVR-250, how do you input audio to the card?  Looking at the
image (http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/15-116-602-05.JPG) I
think all I see is a 1/4" stereo jack.  In that case I guess I'll need a
conversion cable (RCA audio male -> 1/4" male plug) to go from my
receiver to the card?

3) My Aopen GX440 card has DVI output.  Any sense trying to do DVI ->
component (is there such a cable?) so that I can then output component
video from the receiver to the TV?  Or should I just stick to S-video?

THANK YOU for any comments - I'm sure I'm missing something here.