[mythtv-users] 1/8

dan dan at milkcarton.com
Mon Feb 16 13:16:44 EST 2004

Jason, these would work. . . IF you added a diode and resitor, and a mono-
plug.  Or, you could just build the simple xmitter on the lirc site.  See this
thread (From yesterday no less) regarding building the simple circuit.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/Users_F11/Re%
3AIR_Transmitter_Help_P108912/

-dan

>Jason G (sredni.vashtar at comcast.net) wrote:
>
>Hello,

I'm looking into IR emitters so that I can control my digital cable box (it
doesn't seem to have a serial port on the back at all). I've been looking at
some emitters that are available on-line
(http://www.hometech.com/infrared/emitters.html). These seem to be cheap,
small, and involve no construction on my part. I could probably build one
using the instructions on the lirc.org site, but I doubt that I'd get
something as small as these and it certainly wouldn't look as polished.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience getting these things to work
under linux? They've got 1/8" (3.5mm) mono connectors, which suggests that
they'd be pretty easy to connect via serial. The various emitters seem to want
to talk to a control box of some sort, which I don't want to spend the
benjamins on. If anyone has any suggestions/experience hooking these up under
linux, I'd appreciate any tips you can provide.

Thanks,
Jason