[mythtv-users] 1/8" IR Emitters

Jason G sredni.vashtar at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 12:54:09 EST 2004

    Hello,

    I'm looking into IR emitters so that I can control my digital cable box (it doesn't seem to have a serial port on the back at all).  I've been looking at some emitters that are available on-line (http://www.hometech.com/infrared/emitters.html).  These seem to be cheap, small, and involve no construction on my part.  I could probably build one using the instructions on the lirc.org site, but I doubt that I'd get something as small as these and it certainly wouldn't look as polished.

    I was wondering if anyone had any experience getting these things to work under linux?  They've got 1/8" (3.5mm) mono connectors, which suggests that they'd be pretty easy to connect via serial.  The various emitters seem to want to talk to a control box of some sort, which I don't want to spend the benjamins on.  If anyone has any suggestions/experience hooking these up under linux, I'd appreciate any tips you can provide.

    Thanks,
    Jason