[mythtv-users] ATRPMS mythtvsetup in wrong RPM?

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Feb 16 12:37:45 EST 2004

	Well, there are a few reasons.  I've gotten burned on compiling things
on other machines (Mplayer, for example, optimizes for specific CPUs and won't
run on others).  I was hoping to make the frontend very generic so it's easily
reproducable and upgradeable.  The backend I don't mind tweaking a bit.
Trouble about doing the RPM thing is often it's an all or nothing endeavor.  If
you compile one thing, you often have to compile everything (think kernel,
modules, lirc, mplayer cpu optimizations, rpm install dependencies, etc).  I
figured I'd be a "good boy" and try the RPMS.

	Regarding the compiling, I use Encap to manage all my custom-compiled
software.  Mythtv works pretty well with it, although you have to PREFIX
everything (modules included) to /usr/local/encap/mythtv-0.14, otherwise they
won't find each other when run.

	I think more people should use the Encap thing.  It's a fairly trivial
way to bridge the gap between full-blow packages (and their associated
dependence hell), and just spraying everything willy-nilly into /usr/local.
Try downgrading to an older version...
'epkg -r mythtv-0.14'
'epkg -i mythtv-0.13'
I routinely keep multiple versions of stuff around, although only one is
typically installed at a time.

	Sorry about the rant, but I figured some people might not know about
it.

-Cory

 On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Tom Marshall wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 07:10:48AM -0500, papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu wrote:
> > 	Hello all.  Good news is I've been having enough fun with mythtv to
> > decide to make a standalone frontend.  Bad news is I forgot how much work I put
> > into building the original backend/frontend.  I ended up compiling just about
> > everything (except for the xmltv stuff) from source.  Not too bad on the dual
> > PIII-933, but the slave box I'm building is just a Celeron 366->550, so I'm
> > trying to go with rpms.
>
> If you like your setup on the initial machine and you are running the same
> version of the same distro on the second machine, why not just copy the
> files over?  Everything you compiled yourself should be under /usr/local,
> and a fresh install should have an empty /usr/local.  You should be able to
> do something like this:
>
>   $ cd /usr/local
>   $ tar cvf - * | ssh otherbox "cd /usr/local; tar xf -"
>
> You can do a similar thing with the kernel (though I don't know about
> running an SMP kernel on a uniproc box).
>
> I usually compile things on my AMD 1700 and then copy them over to my
> Celeron 466 with a similar command.  Saves a bunch of time.

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*
* 	- teach what you do.						*
* 						(Just my 20 USm$)	*