[mythtv-users] No update of framebuffer if virtual console is inactive

Torsten Rupp torsten.rupp at gmx.net
Mon Feb 16 09:55:01 EST 2004

Dear MythTV-users,

after some struggeling with my system I was able to make the MythTV running
with a PVR350 and Hermes Barebone 651-system and Suse 9.0. In general the
display of MythTV on the framebuffer works, also decoding via PVR350 is running,
thus watching TV is nice! Unfortuantelly I detected some problem for which I
could not find any solution:

I configured two X-servers running in parallel: one on the computer monitor
with the standard desktop system and one for MythTV on the TV screen. I can
control MythTV with the remote control on the TV-screen if the virtual console
for that X-server is active (in my case vt8). But soon I switch to the other
X-server (vt7), the framebuffer "freez":  there is no update of the image
shown on the TV-screen. If I switch back to vt8, then the image is updated
again.

I checked the FrameBuffer- and X-HowTo's and detected some hint, that the
framebuffer contents is not updated anymore soon the connected virtual terminal
becomes inactive.

My question: is it possible to configure either X or the framebuffer in some
way to keep the update of the screen contents running even the connected
virtual termin is not active, thus use both X-servers in parallel? (of course
for MythTV no mouse or keyboard is need, thus tjhere will be not conflict
concerning this).

Any hint for this problem is welcome.

Bye,

Torsten

Complete system configuration

- Hermes barebone MSI651, 2.4GHz Pentinum, 1GB RAM, PVR350
- Suse 9.0, Vanillia kernel 2.4.24
- XFree 4.3.0.1
-  ivtv 0.19, MythTV 0.14