[mythtv-users] Setup a celeron 400 box with mythtv

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Feb 16 07:22:40 EST 2004

	I just tried a celeron 366 OC'd to 550 yesterday.  Playing a DVD mpeg
stream on a Mach64 (has XVideo support) took about 50% of the cpu.  I'm
planning on building a frontend out of this.  I used to use a dual Celeron
300->450 as a combination frontend/backend.  Using a bttv-based card, it was
watchable if captured at 400x480, but it took 90% of once CPU for mythbackened
to encode.  The other CPU was pretty much maxed out at playing the result, with
myfrontend taking about 40%, and X taking about 40% cpu.

	Basically, it should be doable if you're either making a standalone
frontend, or *maybe* a backend/frontend if you've got a hardware mpeg encoder
card (read: PVR-[23]50 or M179).  The biggest wildcard in this setup is how
well the chipset on the motherboard is at doing fast/low-latency data
throughput.  Even though the CPU can handle it, if the rest of the components
don't let the data through, it'll skip/jerk/etc.

Hope that helps,
-Cory

 On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Nicola Ferri wrote:

> is there a way to setup a pentium celeron 400 with 196MB of ram with mythtv?
> is possibile to switch encoding/decoding of live tv?
>
> thanks,
> Nicola

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*