[mythtv-users] HTPC Case

mian mythtv at mian.net.au
Mon Feb 16 07:14:16 EST 2004

> I'd be surprised if the case alone made a PC silent,  but most cases can
> be made silent.  My D.Vine5 machine is quiet inaudible at something like
> 5 feet in a quiet room.

I'd have to agree here, you can achieve quietness by concentrating more on
components than the case itself.  A silent PSU without a rear fan, and
just a large top fan is a very good start for desktop type cases, and also
some newer motherboards support automatic controlling of the fan speeds,
the ATI motherboard I just replaced allowed you todo this by setting a
ratio, on its lowest setting it made a major difference.. ofcourse not all
motherboards support this, but you can get around it by using something
like a Coolermaster Aerogate [
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?code=FA-CMAEROGATE2 ]
or any other type of fan controller to give you more control.  I've found
around ~2000rpm is pretty much silent for me unless you stick your head
upto it.. Intel CPUs also seem to generate less heat than AMD, thus the
fan doesn't have to work as hard to cool and thus is quieter.  Heatsinks
standard on ram also helps.. just remember that while some components
don't need fans directly on them they still contribute to overall heat
inside the case and how much the fans have to work.

--
mian