[mythtv-users] lirc_init error running mythfrontend

mythgnomer at rowelab.com mythgnomer at rowelab.com
Sun Feb 15 11:19:41 EST 2004

Those i2c warnings during lirc compile can usually be ignored, but
unresolved symbols usually means you don't have the kernel sources installed
that match the kernel you're running or compiling against.

http://www.lirc.org/faq.html

What's happenning is that lirc creates loadable kernel modules. To do that,
it has to have the kernel sources to build against. This will also help if
you ever have to compile ivtv manually, or alsa, or.. (lots of stuff).

If you've installed a kernel via RPM, you should also download the kernel
sources RPM and install it. Once that's done, see if there's a symlink from
your kernel sources to /usr/src/linux .. If not..

$> cd /usr/src
$> ln -s linux-<my_kernel_version> linux

Then, you'll need to change over to that directory and run a few commands..

$> cd /usr/src/linux
$> cp /boot/config-<my_kernel_version> ./.config
$> make menuconfig

Don't change anything, just save it. Then..

$> make dep; make clean

That should set up all the headers so that you can compile programs that
create loadable kernel modules.

-Scott Rowe