[mythtv-users] Radioshack Universal Remotes

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 13 15:31:36 EST 2004

>From: "Darren Mak" <mythtv at digitalweb.ca>
>To: "'Discussion about mythtv'" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: [mythtv-users] Radioshack Universal Remotes
>Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:46:27 -0600
>
>HI All,
>

>Now that I have myth working the way I want it, I am interested in getting
>rid of the four remotes I have to use in my frontend setup.
>

>TV - needed till now because of the tv/video button that my shaw cable box
>remote did not have
>
>Cable Box - For my umm cable box
>
>VCR - nuff said
>
>XBOX - Generic Xbox DVD remote to control mythfrontend
>

>Can the Radioshack 15-2116 remote that seems to be popular replace a
>Motorola DCT2000 remote, as well as the Xbox DVD remote to control myth as
>well as adding Tv/Video functionality? Since Jarod mentions the Motorola
>Digital cable DCT-5100 on his site I am assuming it would work for the DCT
>2000 and since the Xbox remote can be replaced with the one for all remotes
>setup as RCA I would assume this would work in Myth as well.
>

>However the outstanding question for me is the tv/video function on my JVC
>remote.
>

>This being said I am at the next crossroads with this. the 15-2116 is not
>available in Canada according to Radioshack however the following remotes
>on
>the three pages at.
>

>http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Category.aspx?language=en-CA
><http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Category.aspx?language=en-CA&pagenum=1&cate
>gory=Universal+Remote+Controls&catalog=RadioShack>
>&pagenum=1&category=Universal+Remote+Controls&catalog=RadioShack
>

>are available in Canada. Would someone who knows about the 15-2116 or who
>has used another remote take a look at the link above and see If any of
>these would be acceptable.
>

>Thanks
>

>Darren

I don't see a remote that looks very similar to the RS 15-2116 on
the page you linked.  If I could recommend: I have the URC-6012
by OneforAll and it was part of the basis for the codes used in
Jarod's guide.  It supports key remapping using the same codes as
the 15-2116 and I personally like the number and variety of keys
it provides.  I don't know if it is available in Canada.  Take a look
at OneforAll's site (www.oneforall.com?) and check it out.  I
believe they also show worldwide availability.  I got mine at
WalMart, so if WalMart is in Canada it may be available there.

HTH!

-- Harry O.