[mythtv-users] Proposed scheduler change - feedback please

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 13 14:37:53 EST 2004

Quoting steve at nexusuk.org:

> As some of you probably know, the scheduler is having some big changes
> done to it ATM.  A question has come up on the -dev list and I want to ask
> the opinion of all the users:
>
> In MythTV 0.13 and lower, if 2 different shows of equal priority
> conflicted then you could tell it to always make one override the other
> when the same 2 shows conflicted in the future.  In MythTV 0.14, the
> ability to set new overrides like this was removed although it still pays
> attention to the overrides that were already set up before upgrading.
>
> The proposed scheduler changes are planned to completely remove this
> functionality and go to a purely priority based conflict resolution
> system.  I believe this is a Bad Thing since as far as I can tell, that
> would make the conflict resolution more difficult to control, less
> flexible and less intuitive.  Especially for those of us with only a
> single tuner (and so many more conflicts).
>
> I'd like your opinions on the matter - do we keep this functionality in
> in addition to the priorities (like it is in 0.13) or rip it out
> completely leaving only priorities?
Just a comment on conflicts, somewhat unrelated:

If two shows overlap by one minute (A common problem if you don't run a
round-to-nearest-5-minutes script on your program DB and record anything on
NBC), the end result that one recording should be completely disabled.

A better method would be to cut short the early recording or start the next one
late.  (Of course, this should be user-configurable.)  Of course, the user
should be warned about the overlapping portion.