[mythtv-users] Standard Cable??

Brian M. Bennett brianbennett at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 13 14:16:27 EST 2004

I am considering building a MythTV and have a couple brief questions as
I begin my research.

Can I run MythTV from my standard cable line that comes from the street?
I do not have a box from the cable company. I simply run the coax cable
from the wall to my VCR and then from my VCR to my TV. I subscribe to
Time Warner Cable and only get the basic and standard tiers. I am not
interested in the digital platform yet as I am trying to minimize my
cable bill. Do I need a converter box that comes with either a DirectTV
box or a Time Warner Cable box in order to use MythTV?

Also, seeing how I do not have a fancy converter box with an integrated
TV guide, where would the MythTV get its TV guide from in my scenario?
Is there a third party vendor that supplies the TV listing for my area
and my cable provider?

Does anyone have any architecture diagrams that would portray the MythTV
setup at a high level. I would like to see the cable source going to the
computer and then linking into various AV components (i.e. Stereo, TV,
VCR, DVD Player, etc). I realize that everyone setup is different for
the most part but still would like to see a high level conceptual layout
of the infrastructure.

Thanks

-Brian