[mythtv-users] OT: Launch Mythfrontend remotely via ssh

Michael Segulja msegulja at lmdcs.com
Fri Feb 13 11:41:14 EST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of m0j0.j0j0
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 10:02 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: RE: [mythtv-users] OT: Launch Mythfrontend remotely via ssh

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 09:09, Michael Segulja wrote:
> Somebody correct me if there's a better way, but here's how I would do
> it.
>
> Either telnet or ssh to your desktop machine from your laptop... I
> would recommend ssh.  Once connected to the desktop machine, make sure
> your display variable is set to the desktop.  At a command prompt,
> type 'export DISPLAY=name.of.desktop:0.0'.  Then, simply run
> mythfrontend and it will display and run on your desktop.  You can
> then exit out of the ssh or telnet session and be back at your laptop
> leaving mythfrontend running on your desktop.
>
> HTH,

If you close your SSH session I believe any new processes (i.e.
Mythfrontend) will be terminated. You could SSH in and run 'screen', followed by Mythfrontend. Screen will allow you to detach without terminating the frontend. Alternatively, you could just bounce X (killall X) if it is set to autologon and Myth is scripted to auto-start.

Joe

You're right, it would kill the mythfrontend process because I left something out.  You can send the program to a background job, and then terminating the ssh session will not kill the process.  This can be done in one of two ways, either run myth this way at the command prompt: 'mythfrontend &', or after running mythfrontend, press ctrl-z, and then type 'bg'.  Both of these methods will separate the process from the ssh session, and let you exit without killing the process.

Michael