[mythtv-users] Semi-Off Topic? - RH9 Kernel woes...any way to make FC1 work?

Gabe Knuth me at gabeknuth.com
Fri Feb 13 11:25:06 EST 2004

All,

Forgive me for this off-topic post, but this is the only group that I've
ever gotten decent responses from.

I have a Via EPIA M10k mobo, and their driver support limits me to RedHat 8
& 9, Mandrake 9.1, and Suse 8.1.  I tried to load FC1 at first, found out
that it wasn't supported, so I backed off to RH9.  I've been having problems
getting software since my kernel is version 2.4.20-8, rather than (what
appears to be) the common 2.4.20-28.

Following Jarod's HowTo, I've been able to get most things installed, but
two things are plaguing me - lirc and ivtv.  Both of these seem to need
kernel drivers, and I can't figure out what I need to do to a) get them & b)
get them installed.  I can't do the apt-get as described in the HowTo
because there are no packages for my kernel.

So, my questions are: 1) Is it possible to make the RH9 video and audio
drivers from Via work in FC1 without the source?  They have a semi-closed
source policy, and I doubt I can get my hands on it.

And 2) Can I upgrade the kernel to 2.4.20-28? (and, if yes, is there a nice
little HowTo on that as well?).

Thanks much, and I promise I'll be able to help out future guys like me when
I'm all done!

Gabe