[mythtv-users] Re:OT: Launch Mythfrontend remotely via ssh

John DeLuca johnfdeluca at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 11:04:23 EST 2004

Let me clarify.....I don't want to run the myth display on my laptop....only want to run it on the display attached to my desktop. But since I don't want to have a keyboard attached to it, i'd like to be able to launch x programs from my laptop via ssh.  The reason is because from time to time the ivtv driver crashes (it's still beta I think and hence occasionally acts up).  I can kill, and relaunch the driver remotely, but then I usually need to restart mythfrontend.

I tried the following command but it returned an error when I try to launch mythfrontend.(mythfrontend: cannot connect to X server mythtv.johnfdeluca.com:0.0)

export DISPLAY=mythtv.johnfdeluca.com:0.0
ok...if you use ssh with X11 forwarding (some distro's have x11 forwarding in
ssh on by default)..the frontend should redirect to wherever you are sshing
from. I am not sure if this is what you are asking for.  Why not just start
the frontend on the desktop display with mythfrontend?  or you could use vnc
but neither vnc or x11 is going to be able to be usuable for vieiwing.

also if you are having ivtv probs, running the frontend probably wont fix your
problems.  you need to look at your backend log or /var/log/messages for ivtv
errors and post those to the list or maybe just some more info so we can
help.

--
Bill Bradley