[mythtv-users] Question on Backend and frontend functionality

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Fri Feb 13 10:21:52 EST 2004

> Is it possible to watch (live) TV on the frontend? Does it stream the tv
> show from the backend to the frontend?

Yes.

> Or do I need a tuner card in the frontend machine?

No.

MythTV is a client-server application.  The Frontend is the GUI part,
the backend is the scheduling and capturing part.  A remote control
would be connected to the frontend.  An IR blaster would be connected to
the backend in case you're using a set-top box, like a DirecTV or a
digital cable box.  When you change channels on the frontend, it sends a
signal to the backend, which will then do what it has to in order to
change the channel.  If you've got standard analog cable or rabbit ears
connected to the tuner card, then the tuner will change channels.  If
you're using an IR blaster, then the backend will pulse the IR
transmitter on the blaster.  The STB will see the pulses and change the
channel because it thinks that a remote control did it.

If you're lucky, your STB has a serial port, and you can connect the
backend directly to the serial port, in which case the channel changes
are faster and more reliable and you don't need to use an IR blaster.

A frontend _may_ have a tuner card in it, in which case it's a frontend
_and_ a backend at the same time.