[mythtv-users] Starting up with TVOut...

alanb at starband.net alanb at starband.net
Thu Feb 12 22:54:31 EST 2004

I've looked at the archives and actually found something about my problem.
I've played around with it but I still haven't got this one figured out.
I'm trying to get the computer to output to the monitor during boot up.

I've got a Matrox G550 video card plus the PVR-350. I've used Jarod's
XF86Config-PVR350.txt making the appropriate modifications to BusID and
fbx value.

When I boot up the output goes to the monitor hooked up to the Matrox
card. It fails with:

(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found.

If I then login as root and at the command line do /sbin/modprobe ivtv
followed by /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb.

The monitor is no longer responding and I get a cursor on the bottom left
of the TV screen. If I type 'startx' the cursor moves but the letters are
not shown. When I hit enter the TV is now acting as the monitor. Of
course, the size is all wrong but that's another issue for later.

How can I get my computer to boot directly to the TV and overcome the (EE)
problems during booting?

I did notice that in the XF86 log that my pci address for my Matrox and my
Hauppauge are being identified but the Matrox pci address has an * at the
beginning. I also noticed that the fb appears to be trying to use the
Matrox pci address because it is the default pci address.