[mythtv-users] Video flagged with mythcommflag shows as "not

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Feb 12 20:11:41 EST 2004

> > I think there may be a place in the code that assumes you have a
> > blank-frame
> > map and if you use just scene-change detection you won't have one.
> Actually, that appears to be the case.
>
> I'm using scenechange + blank frame detection.  I would just use BFD, except
> that there's a noise source that puts small but bright bands of static on the
> screen that screw with the blank frame detection mode.  The end result is that
> on many programs, not a single blank frame is detected.

Yeah, I looked into the code before I sent that email so I was pretty sure that
was what was going on.  I'll have a patch in CVS for this tonight.

> In short, if there are no blank frames, the commercial skip code will nuke any
> existing commercial flag table.  Kind of nonsensical behavior to me.

When I wrote the original commercial detection code I didn't think that I'd
get the scene change stuff doing anywhere near as good as it does do and
didn't have it on my mind when I wrote that code.

> Hopefully in a week or so this will be a nonissue - Cablevision dropped the
> price of their broadcast basic package down to $7/month, which finally made me

Well, for people using just scene-change detection it would be an issue. :(

> I'd send a patch to the dev list, but I don't know enough about the code to know
> if that tweak would have any unintended side effects.

No problem, I'll commit something in a few minutes.

--

Chris