[mythtv-users] Recordings to DVD

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 12 15:53:16 EST 2004

On Thursday 12 February 2004 14:43, Greg wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 14:36, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> > > Odd, I tried the same experiment earlier and had no issues...
> >
> > How are you transcoding the files?  Inside of Myth (i.e.,
> > auto-transcode or press "X" during playback, using the transcoding
> > profiles), or outside of Myth (using nuvexport or transcode)?
> > AFAIK, if you want to transcode to a portable/standard format, you
> > need to use an external tool like transcode (if your original
> > recordings are HW-generated MPEG) or nuvexport (for both HW- and
> > SW-encoded Myth recordings).
> >
> > -JAC
>
> I'm transcoding within Myth. My original thought on how transcoding
> works concurs  with your statement, that being; transcoding within
> Myth creates a non portable MPEG4 file. To get a portable file,
> transcode the MPEG2 files using other tools..

I figured.  I'm more curious as to how Donavan is transcoding, because I
didn't think Myth's software encoder/transcoder output portable files.
(I realize the support is in libavcodec & libavformat, but I still
didn't think Myth did this).

> The transcoding that
> MythDVD uses to rip a dvd is a port format is it not? If so it would
> be nice if Myth used that method...

Well, MythDVD is just a nice frontend to the standard Linux transcoding
tools.  You're taking a non-Myth source (DVD) and transcoding it to
another non-Myth format (albeit one that gets imported to MythVideo).
AFAIK, Myth does not natively support import or export of Myth content
(i.e., content recorded by Myth).  Until it does, nuvexport is the way
to go.

-JAC