[mythtv-users] Recordings to DVD

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 12 13:42:53 EST 2004

On Thursday 12 February 2004 12:54, Greg wrote:
> papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu wrote:
> >	I just wish the DVD specification allows for SVCD resolution of
> >480x480.  For record cable broadcasts, 352 vs 480 "lines" is
> > noticable, but 704 (the next DVD-supported resolution) is way
> > overkill.
>
> I know 480x480 isn't a DVD spec, but my DVD will work with a DVD
> created using 480x480 SVCD file with the audio transcode up to 48hz.
> It is worth mentioning that this DVD player fails to play SVCD, and
> only says it supports VCD's (older dvd unit). I was very surprized
> when it actually played back fine... In case your wondering, I used
> dvdlab (windows software, not free) to author the dvd, they have a
> little guide on there website how to take SVCD's and created DVD's

This will vary with different standalone DVD players.  Very likely your
player doesn't play SVCD because it doesn't recognize the media format
(not surprising for an older player).  However, since SVCD is MPEG-2,
when you re-author onto a DVD the media format is recognized.  The big
IF here is that since 480x480 is not a valid DVD-spec'd resolution, a
given player is not guaranteed to play it correctly.  Some players are
good enough to play pretty much anything you throw at them (as long as
it's a valid MPEG-1/2 stream); some are very picky.  My player will
even play regular .mpg files (or .wav, or .jpg) on an ISO9660 data CD.
If this works for you, great.  For anyone else, all I can say is, if
you're willing to potentially sacrifice a DVD-R disc, then give it a
shot.

-JAC